Lower back pain can be a debilitating condition, and the only way to prevent it is by doing regular exercise. Staying active and doing muscle strengthening exercises can help you increase the power in your back muscles, helping you improve your posture and ability to do daily activities.
Frequent episodes of lower back pain signify a weak core and back muscles resulting from poor posture. We will discuss various exercises that can be easily performed to strengthen your back in the information below.
1. Knee to Chest Stretches
This exercise helps in relieving the pain and tension by elongating your lower back muscles. To perform this exercise effectively, please also pay attention to your core.
- Lie down comfortably on a yoga mat with your back resting on it
- Keep your feet flat on the ground by bending both the knees
- Now with both your hands, bring one knee closer to your chest
- Hold that position for about 5 secs while engaging your abdominal muscles and pressing the spine against the floor
- Return to the starting position and repeat with the other leg
2. Lower Back Rotational Stretch
This exercise relieves the lower back pain and works well on the core to enhance your stability.
- Lie down comfortably on the floor with your back facing the ground and gently roll your knees to one side of the body
- Make sure you do not lift your shoulders from the ground at any point in time
- Hold the position for 5 secs
- Repeat the rolling motion on both sides while maintaining the stability of the shoulders
3. Cat Stretches
This exercise reduces the lower back pain by lengthening the back muscles and making them stronger.
- Go down on your knees and put your hands on the floor
- Keep your knees hip-width apart
- Arch your back upwards while pulling your belly bottom upwards
- Now relax and let your belly sag towards the floor
- Be very slow while performing the reps and feel the stretch in your muscles while you do this exercise
4. Superman Pose
Superman Pose is an effective exercise for the back extensor muscles.
- Lie down comfortably on the floor with your belly toward the ground
- Now try raising both your legs and hands above the ground for at least a distance of 6 inches
- Hold this position when both your arms and legs are not touching the ground for at least 5 secs
- Return to the starting position and do at least five reps
Word of Caution
Back pain is a condition that affects many people today, but being consistent with your strengthening exercises can be a way out. Start with stretching exercises, and if you have back pain that is severe or worsens with any of the activities mentioned above, it is time to seek medical help. You can get a yoga mat and all other fitness equipment from Ativafit.